Ashlynne Pearl

Ashlynne Pearl
4th Alternate, Miss Magnolia State

Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Letter to You!

Dear Ashlynne,
Hi honey. This is your mother speaking! I have been thinking for quite some time about this letter to you. I have gone back and forth about how to format this letter. I have decided to put it into promises.

Promise #1.... I promise to keep you safe.
Its true, what they say. You won't understand unconditional love, until you have a child of your own. I have always had strong motherly instincts but when I saw your sweet face, I knew what it meant to be a mother. Your mother. Each mother has those instincts for her child and her child only. Therefore, it is my job, as your mother, to keep you safe. I promise I will protect you from dangerous people, unstable situations, and unsafe places to the best of my ability. Sometimes you wont understand and sometimes I will be protecting you from yourself! I will teach you how to recognize, understand and follow your instincts and how to be a great judge of character.

Promise #2.... I promise to love you unconditionally.
There is nothing in this entire world that could make me not love you. I won't always like what you do or the decisions you make but I will always love you. Because you are my child and I am your mother, we will have a bond that will not ever be compromised. I love you more than any mother has ever loved her baby and I make it my promise to always make sure you know.

Part of unconditional love is also teaching you what love isn't. You are surrounded by people who love you so much and who show you love in healthy ways. My hope is that you will witness plenty of healthy marriages in your life time which will draw you to someone who also shares our family values.

Promise #3.... I promise you will not always like me.
This one may seem odd but if I'm doing my job as your mother, you will not always like me. Discipline is something your dad and I promise to give you. Children who are well disciplined are pleasant to be around, respect themselves and others, and obey their parents. Its not my job to be your best friend or your buddy. Its my job to maintain our mother-daughter relationship. You will have a million friends in your life time but only one mother!

Promise #4.... I promise I will help you be the happiest, most successful person possible.
Part of being successful, fulfilled and happy means you have to learn tough lessons and suffer failure sometimes. Although, you might think I'm going to say that I will save you from it but that, my love, is where you are wrong. Disappointment is one of those emotions that parents want to save their children from but its one of the most valuable feelings you can feel. When you feel disappointed, you also feel motivation to solve the problem. I want you to be what ever you want, when you grow up. If you are happy, then I will be happy for you.

My last promise is.... if you trust in God, He will always take care of you. I promise you will believe in Jesus Christ and I promise He will lead you in a life of greatness.

I love you more than this letter could ever explain. Your dad and I wanted to be your parents, dreamed of you and talked about you before you were ever even thought of. And when I found out you were coming, my life really began. The catch is.... I am telling you what I will do you for you but what you did for me, was far far far greater. I will forever be grateful for your life. No matter how old you are, no matter how smart you are and no matter where we are.... I will always be your mom!

I love you.
Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment